The village has been here for over a thousand years and was referred to in a charter of King Aethelred, dated 1001.
Its name may have been from Aetta , a farmer living here before the 13th Century .However, it is believed by some that the “At” element came from “oat” which may have been abundantly grown here. “Worth” meant locality or homestead.
The name of the village has varied in the past, as records show:
1451 Ateforde, Attewarde and also Ateworthe
1637 Atford and Atworth
1773 Atford and Atworth
1858 Atworth only
There was once a large Roman villa or farmhouse, nearby. It had been excavated, but was subsequently covered over.
It seems that the village originally started in the area near to the St Michael’s church, but had spread out significantly by the end of the 15th century.
In medieval times it had three manor houses. Only one exists now, Cottles House built by Robert Cotel around 1102. This is now Stonar School.
The 19th century clock tower was built as a commemoration to Queen Victoria’s reign. It cost about £80-£100 and was paid for by public donation. It later became a memorial for those losing their lives in service of their country in both world wars.
Jane Brown Memorial in St Michael’s churchyard Atworth
This is a little difficult to read, however David Webb provided the Parish Council with the wording some years ago. A copy of this can be seen in the Atworth Museum at Poplar Farm.
Let no perfon remove this ftone
Sacred to y Memory of Mrs JANE BROWN Widow
Daughter of WILLIAM PAWLET of Cottles Efq
who out of her Eftate in Cottles
gave the perpetual Anual Rents
of x x x 1 pounds viz
To y Curate of Atford for weekly Catechizing x ‘
To a perfon for teaching poor Children x ‘
For buying books for those children 1 ‘
For cloathing poor People v ‘
For a Scholar in the Univerfity
from Marlburgh Schoole v ‘
And out of her Lands in Warwickfhire
To the Minifter of Maxftock For weekly Catechizing xx ‘
She died July 26th AD in 1706 Aged 87
And let her Memory be ever Bleft